Face coverings are mandatory in all in-door settings!  All Civilian, Active Duty members, and dependents are reminded to avoid visiting the Commissary, Base Exchange, Bldg 3000, and the Pharmacy on Wednesdays. Retirees are also being seen on Wednesdays at the CAC/DEERS office by appointment only.  Please call 661-277-4281 Option 3, to make an appointment. Retirees may utilize base facilities on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
HomeUnits412th Test Wing Legal Office


The 412th Test Wing Office of the Staff Judge Advocate provides high-quality legal advice and support in the areas of civil law, contract law, labor law, environmental law, claims and military justice for courts-martial and non-judicial punishment actions. The office also provides legal assistance to individual military members, retirees and family members on personal, non-criminal legal matters.


The Office of the Staff Judge Advocate provides legal services and advice absolutely free to all active duty personnel and their dependents along with reservists and guardsmen on federal active duty and their dependents. In addition, retired personnel, their dependents, and dependent survivors may also receive legal assistance to the extent personnel and facilities are available.

Air Force attorneys and paralegals can assist eligible personnel with wills, powers of attorney, notary service, or advice on personal civil legal matters such as adoption, landlord-tenant issues, tax assistance, and consumer law questions. Legal assistance officers are licensed attorneys who are assigned by the Air Force to advise and counsel members on personal legal problems.

The Legal Assistance Program offers counseling for personal civil matters. Legal assistance officers cannot represent clients in court, nor can they advise persons who have hired a civilian attorney on the same subject matter. They cannot advise about criminal matters, or UCMJ related offenses, (active duty members with these issues should contact the Area Defense Counsel Office, at (661) 277-2809 or DSN 527-2809, nor can they assist someone to avoid paying a debt or advise someone regarding private commercial business and other outside employment. Legal assistance officers are also prohibited from preparing personal legal documents on behalf of those eligible, except for wills, powers of attorney, and affidavits.

Powers of Attorney, Notary and Claims services are available Monday and Wednesday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and Friday from 8 a.m. – noon.  Real Estate and Refinance notary services are by appointment only.  Please call the legal office for additional information.

Please visit the Air Force Legal Assistance Website to find information on various legal assistance topics.  Also, please find useful information regarding common legal issues on the right side of this website under Legal Assistance Resources.

Legal assistance for personal, civil matters is available by appointment only.  Please call (661) 277-4310 to make an appointment.



A will is a written legal declaration of how personal property should be distributed after death. The Legal Office can assist eligible military and family members as well as retirees and their dependents in preparing a will.  Before making an appointment, members should review the Will Considerations For Military Families fact sheet and complete a Will Questionnaire located on the Air Force Legal Assistance Website.

Wills require two separate appointments. Will preparation is done by appointment only. Will executions are conducted every Friday at 1000 hours.


With some planning, most people can usually handle their own affairs. However, there are times when you might need someone to act as your agent in your absence, to handle a particular piece of business. If you appoint someone to act for you, you do so by giving him or her your power of attorney.

A power of attorney is a legal document that allows another to conduct legal actions on your behalf (such as selling a house) and can be either special (usually connected with a single transaction or event) or general (total power over another's legal affairs). Special powers of attorney drafted to fit individual needs on a one-time basis or for a limited period of time are usually your best choice. The Legal Office is prepared to draft both.

For more information about Powers of Attorney, or to fill out a Power of Attorney Questionnaire prior to your arrival at the base legal office, you can visit the Air Force Legal Assistance Website.


412th Test Wing Legal Office

1 S. Rosamond Blvd.

Edwards Air Force Base, California 93524

Telephone: (661) 277-4310 / Fax: (661) 277-2887


The legal office is located on the first floor of the Air Force Test Center, Bldg. 1.


The Air Force Claims Service Center is located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, and processes personal claims for Airmen and civilian employees worldwide. Those with lost or damaged household goods, privately owned vehicles shipped at government expense, and theft or vandalism of private property located on the installation may be filed online with the claims office by visiting the Air Force Claims Service Center. The website also lists a toll-free and DSN numbers for assistance in filing a claim. Filing a claim and getting paid has never been easier or faster!

Two important things to keep in mind for household goods claims: noting the damage on the DD Form 1840/1840R (pink forms) and filing the DD Form 1840/1840R to the Air Force Claims Service Center website and/or directly with the carrier within 70 days of delivery.

First, it is important to note the damages or loss on the DD Form 1840 at the time of delivery and unpacking. If loss or damage is discovered after the movers leave your home, annotate the specified damage on the reverse side of the DD Form 1840 (DD Form 1840R). File all copies of the DD Form 1840 and 1840R to the Air Force Claims Service Center website and/or directly with the carrier within 70 days from the date of delivery. Failure to note damage/loss or to deliver the forms within 70 days from the date of delivery may have adverse effects on your claim. Although claimants have two years from the date of delivery to file a claim for loss or damage at depreciated value through the Air Force Claims Service Center, you only have 9 months to file with the carrier through DTS to receive full replacement value for your loss.


If you are required to complete the Smooth Move Briefing, you may access the online training module by clicking the Smooth Move Training Slide.

Smooth Move Briefings for personally owned vehicles can be viewed by clicking the Smooth Move POV Training Slide.

Once completed, please send your Smooth Move Certificate of Completion to 412tw.JA.Workflow@us.af.mil.

The 412th Test Wing Legal Office handles tort claims against the Air Force.  For more information call (661) 277-4310. 


Every year the Tax Center helps hundreds of clients with their federal and state taxes and refunds with no tax preparation fees. If you are eligible, we stand ready to help you with your taxes. This service is normally offered 1 February through 15 April, but is expanded for returning deploying members and their families.

The Tax Center is located at 1100 Kincheloe Ave., Edwards AFB, CA 93523. To schedule an appointment, call (661) 277-4310.

Tax Center clients should consult the What to Bring to Your Tax Appointment document that they will receive upon scheduling an appointment. Failure to bring the required documents, such as proof of social security numbers, will result in rescheduling the appointment. Prior to your appointment, you must also fill out IRS Form 13614-C and bring it with you to your appointment.