EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. --
The Fourth of July is a time when family and friends gather to enjoy barbecues, picnics and beautiful fireworks displays. Unfortunately it is also a time when many people will experience injuries and cause damage to property using fireworks.
Please take a few minutes to read the following information to ensure you and your family have a safe and happy 4th of July.
In the state of California only the "Safe and Sane" type fireworks are legal for use and even these fireworks are not legal for use in every city.
The general rule is if you can buy the fireworks in your city then they are legal for use in the city where you bought them. If you are planning to buy fireworks in one city and use them in another city you must check with the local fire department where you intend to use the fireworks to make sure they are legal in that city.
Although there are approved fireworks in the state of California, all fireworks are prohibited at Edwards AFB unless approved by the base commander.
Even though "Safe and Sane" fireworks have been authorized for use in certain areas off base they are still potentially dangerous, especially if used improperly. Statistics show that these types of fireworks were responsible for more injuries than any other type.
This is believed to be because the title "Safe and Sane" gives many people false security that these types of fireworks can't hurt you; however, nothing could be further from the truth.
Should you decide to purchase fireworks, keep the following safety precautions in mind:
- Always read and follow the safety directions.
- Never take fireworks apart to build your own fireworks.
- Never allow children to use fireworks without adult supervision.
- Only light one device at a time and remain a safe distance away after lighting the device.
- Never try to re-light or handle "dud" fireworks. Follow the safety directions.
- Use fireworks in an area that is free of combustible vegetation.
- If anyone is burned, apply cool water to the skin for several minutes and seek medical attention.
The Edwards Fire Protection Division wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday!
For questions regarding fireworks safety, contact the Edwards AFB Fire Prevention Division at 277-3643. In case of an emergency dial 911 from a duty or housing phone, if you are calling from a cell phone call 277-4540/4541.