|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT WILLIAM W. THOMASTON JR.|
Chief Master Sergeant William W. Thomaston is the Command Chief for the Air Force Flight Test Center and the 95th Air Base Wing at Edwards Air Force Base, California. He serves as the principal enlisted advisor to the Air Force Flight Test Center and Installation Commander regarding the morale, effective utilization, development, training and readiness of 2,000 active duty personnel assigned to the installation. He also represents the enlisted force at a multitude of meetings, committees, boards, and steering councils to support 14,000 civilian personnel across 57 organizations in the Air Force Flight Test Center.
Chief Thomaston enlisted in the Air Force in 1986 and began his career as a Medical Service Specialist. He has served in a variety of progressively challenging positions from squadron to Headquarters Air Force, including Independent Duty Medical Technician, Air Base Ground Defense Security Forces Instructor, Senior Flight Medic, Group Superintendent and Chief, Air Force Enlisted Force Development and as a liaison to the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force at the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
1986 National Registry Emergency Medical Technician, Pikes Peak Community College
1989 Military Airlift Command NCO Preparatory School, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
1990 Medical Service Technician-Independent Duty, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1991 Technical Training Instructor Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1998 Air Education and Training Command NCO Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
2000 National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2002 Associate Degree, Allied Health Sciences, Community College of the Air Force
2003 USAF Senior NCO Academy, Gunter Annex, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 USAF Chiefs Leadership Course, Gunter Annex, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Joint Senior NCO Professional Military Education Course
2007 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2007 Enterprise Management Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2007 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Gettysburg Leadership Experience, Gettysburg, Pa.
2009 Mentor, USAF Chiefs Leadership Course, Gunter Annex, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 AFSO21 Senior Leaders Course, Stuttgart, Germany
1. 1986-1990 Various positions culminating as Emergency Services Technician, 314th USAF Hospital, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2. 1990-1992, Independent Duty Medical Technician, 314 Ground Combat Readiness Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. 1992-1993, NCOIC In-service and Training, 314 Ground Combat Readiness Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. August - November 1993, Independent Duty Medical Technician (Deployed) Operation RESTORE HOPE, Mogadishu, Somalia
5. 1993-1999, Various positions culminating as Chief, Medical Operations, Data Masked, Classified
6. 1999-2002, Superintendent, Medical Support, Data Masked, Classified
7. 2002-2003, Superintendent, Primary Care Flights, 60th Medical Operations Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
8. 2003-2004, 4N0 Functional Manager, 60th Medical Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
9. 2004-2005, Superintendent, Medical Operations Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
10. 2005-2006, Manager Enlisted Force Development (HAF), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. 2006-2008, Chief Enlisted Force Development (HAF), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. 2008-2010, Group Superintendent, 65th Medical Group, Interim Command Chief Master Sergeant, 65th Air Base Wing Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
13. 2010- Present, Command Chief, Air Force Flight Test Center and 95Th Air Base Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal with Valor device
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Wing SNCO of the Year, 2001, Data Masked, Classified
SNCO of the Year 2003, 60th Medical Group and 60th Medical Squadron
Distinguished Graduate, USAF Senior NCO Academy
Commandant's Award, USAF Senior NCO Academy
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant - December 2006
(Current as of January 2011)